News » Feature

It's always killing season in Kansas City

More than 100 people have been killed in the metro this year.



Page 4 of 7


Friend of New Police Chief's Killed in Triple Homicide

A month after Kansas City Police Chief Darryl Forté was sworn in, the chief's best friend was killed in a triple homicide November 11 near 24th Street and Lister.

Police say Derek Hubbard killed his estranged girlfriend, Stephanie Brown, along with Anthony Richardson and Richardson's wife, Mary. According to statements, Hubbard argued with Brown and Anthony Richardson inside the Richardsons' home while trying to force Brown to leave with him. Richardson came to Brown's defense, and a fight ensued. Richardson's son told police that he saw Hubbard shoot his father twice in the chest, shoot Brown twice in the head at close range, and shoot his mother once in the mouth.

Hubbard, 46, turned himself in. Asked why he was surrendering, Hubbard replied, "For whatever." He's charged with first-degree murder, two counts of second-degree murder, three counts of armed criminal action and a count of first-degree robbery.

Crackhead "Put Out of His Misery"

Bronson Joyce told detectives that he committed a double homicide for two reasons: (1) One of the victims was infected with AIDS and was spreading the disease to multiple partners, and (2) the other victim was a crack user.

Joyce, 19, is charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the double homicide of 42-year-old Alphonso Nicholson and 61-year-old Claude Carson, who were found shot to death inside an apartment near East 25th Street and Benton November 12.

A witness told police that Joyce sold crack cocaine to Nicholson and an unidentified woman. Court records say Joyce shot the woman in the left arm and shot Nicholson six times in the chest. Joyce then went inside the apartment and shot Carson three times.

Joyce admitted to detectives that he had planned for more than a month to kill Nicholson. He explained that Nicholson had AIDS and was having unprotected sex with multiple partners. Joyce added that he killed Carson because he was a witness, couldn't be trusted and was a crack-cocaine user. "I had to put him out of his misery," Joyce told police.

Joyce is also charged with three counts of armed criminal action and one count of first-degree assault.

Barbershop Homicide

Joseph Jackson worked at Barbershop 67 to support his brother, who has a mental disability. Jackson, 53, was fatally shot November 16 during a robbery at the shop, near East 34th Street and Troost. He was found bleeding on the shop's floor next to money and spent shell casings around 6:10 p.m.

Security cameras led police to a nearby apartment complex. They followed drops of blood to an upstairs apartment, where they found 19-year-old Georgio White and 22-year-old David Waters. White and Waters had been seen in the video trying to clean up the blood, court records say.

White told detectives that he and Waters waited until the last customer left the shop, then went in and asked for haircuts. White then demanded money from Jackson, who took out his cash but grabbed White's left arm. Police say White pulled a gun, shot Jackson and accidentally shot himself in the arm.

Prosecutors charged White and Waters with second-degree murder, first-degree attempted robbery and two counts of armed criminal action.

Convicted Killer Turned Anti-Violence Counselor Slain

Terrance Jackson joined Aim4Peace in March. The 43-year-old had spent nearly 21 years in prison after a conviction for killing a 17-year-old in a 1988 drive-by shooting. The Kansas City Star reported that Jackson converted to Islam in prison. He was paroled in September 2010 and joined the anti-violence group to work as a gang mediator. Jackson was shot to death November 18 in the parking lot of the Epicurean Lounge, at 75th Street and Troost. His killing remains unsolved.

Comments (30)

Showing 1-25 of 30

Add a comment

Add a comment